Lose yourself in the tight and sinuous streets of this village in the city and discover the typical face of the old Lisbon.
This emblematic district has a lot of restaurants, old taverns and traditional bars. Going for a walk in Alfama is visiting the architeture, the sounds and the smells of Lisbon. Alfama loses its quietness during the Santo Antonio celebrations, which celebrates the Lisbon Patron Saint during the entire month of June.
St. Jorge Castle (Pt. Castelo de São Jorge) - Construted by the Mourish in the 11th century. This fortification was the way to protect the initial city from the elite who lived in the citadel. The least athletic will be able to reach the castle by the Castle Elevator (Fanqueiros' Street) or the Sta. Luzia Elevator (Norberto de Araújo's Street);
Lisbon Cathedral (Pt. Sé de Lisboa) - It’s located on a sacral premises where probably the ancient mosque was. Also constructed on an ancient Roman Temple. The Cathedral is the most ancient building in Lisbon;
National Pantheon (Pt. Igreja de Sta. Engrácia) - Set up in the middle of the 16th century, the National Pantheon is a reference monument of the city of Lisbon;
Tile Museum (Pt. Museu do Azulejo) - An ancient art in an attractive convent.
Fado Museum (Pt. Museu do fado) - Settled in the ancient building of the Alfama water tank, this museum is devoted to the Fado universe and the portuguese guitar;
El Rei fountain (Pt. Chafariz d’El Rei) - 1st public fountain and main Lisbon water point in the 16th century;
Lisbon Antique Theater (Pt. Ruínas do teatro romano de Lisboa) - This theatre was construted durant the 1st century under the Emperador August, then destructed by Constantin. You can admire the ruins of this antique theatre in the St. Jorge Castle South slope.
Porta do Sol (Pt. Miradouro da Porta do Sol) - From this viewer you will be able to admire a direct view on the Tagus River and see the colored Alfama's roof.
Sta. Luzia (Pt. Miradouro da Sta. Luzia) - This viewing point has a privileged view of the entire Alfama district and of the Tagus River.
Bairro Alto is the Lisbonite district where everything is happening. During the day, traditionnal shops give it a picturesque face. And the night, this district receives the lisbonite night life where numerous bars, restaurants and Fado’s houses open their doors to the night-birds. This district was constructed in the 16th century on one of the 7 Lisbon's hills.
Fado Houses: Queimada Alleyway
Bars: D'Atalaia Street
Galeries: Barroca Street
Fashion: Norte Street
Santa Catarina viewing point
São Pedro de Alcântara viewing point
Chiado was the nickname of a tavern's owner GasparDias, located in front of the Armazéns do Chiado (former Espírito Santo Convent). In the 19th century, Chiado became the centre of the romantism, thanks to the novel "Os Maias" (written by Eça de Queiroz). Detroyed in 1988 by a fire, the district was completely redesigned by architect Álvaro Siza Vieira. Today, this district is one of the most traditional districts. You will be able to drink coffee with Fernando Pessoa at the "A Brasileira" coffeeshop terrace, listen to street music, take a stroll thought the many busy streets or shop in several national and international brands stores.
A Brasileira Coffeeshop
Fernando Pessoa statue
Luís de Camões Square
Trindade Theatre (Pt. Teatro da Trindade) - This theatre was constructed in 1866 and inaugurated in 1867;
São Luiz Theatre (Pt. Teatro de São Luíz) - This theatre room was the 1st cinema in Lisbon;
São Carlos Theatre (Pt. Teatro de São Carlos) - This theatre was inaugurated in 1793. With the Casa da Música in Oporto, this theatre is the only opera in Portugal;
Chiado Museum (Pt. Museu do Chiado) - This museum is located in the historic centre of the Chiado district. It was found in 1911 under the name of National Contemporary Art Museum;
Carmo Convent (Pt. Convento do Carmo) - The Moura Carmelites brothers used to live there in the 14th century. It was totally devastated by the earthquake in 1755. Nowadays, the convent ruins are part of the Archaeological Carmo Museum;
Archaeological Carmo Museum (Pt. Museu Arqueológico do Carmo) - This museum was founded in 1864 in order to protect the Carmelite order patrimony;
Armazéns do Chiado shopping centre - This building was constructed in 1279. During the 1755 earthquake this structure was destroyed, being reconstructed and inaugurated in 1894. It was inspired by the Paris Department Store. Today, you can find a little of everything inside.
Sta. Justa Elevator
Paço Square (Pt. Terreiro do Paço)
Augusta Street Triumphal Arch
The name Lapa comes from a rock denominated Lapa da Moura. This district is one of the lisbonite districts with more history and the most well-off. There you will find a many of the Embassies located in Portugal (Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Finland, China...)..
Estrela Garden (Pt. Jardim da Estrela) - This garden was built in 1852 on António Bernardo da Costa Cabral & Queen Maria II initiative, designed according to the romantic English style. It enlarges on 4,6 hectares;
Basílica da Estrela - This baroque basilica was ordered by the Queen Maria I to fulfil a promise of her son’s birth, José. This was inaugurated in 1794;
São Bento Palace (Pt. Palacio de São Bento) - This monument sheltered the Portuguese Republic Assembly. This palace was constructed at the end of the 15th century and has a neoclassic style;
São Bento Manor (Pt. Palacete de São Bento) located on the west wing of the São Bento Palace, this manor the is Portuguese Prime Minister residency;
Amália Rodrigues Museum House (Pt. Casa Museu de Amália Rodrigues) - It was in this house where the Queen of Fado lived for 50 years. The Yellow House is located in number 193 São Bento Street;
Puppet Museum (Pt. Museu da marioneta) - This museum is located in the Bernardines Convent. It is the only Portuguese museum entirely dedicated to the history of the interpretation & the divulgation of the history of the puppet.
Ancient Art Museum